The Gate City Bank Young Artist Program was founded in 2013. The goal of the Young Artist Program is to enrich young artists through training and stage experience that will enhance their performing abilities from guest artists, stage directors and the FM Opera General Director, David Hamilton.
Now in it's sixth year, this program is the first of its kind in the region, bringing groups of young professionals to Fargo from mid-January through April of each year. The Young Artists will be available to perform at schools, community events and will be featured in two Fargo Moorhead Opera productions in the 2018-19 season: lead roles in Mozart's "Cosi fan tutte" and roles in Bizet's "Carmen".
This Young Artist Program is funded by a generous grant from Gate City Bank with additional assistance from the Twin Cities Opera Guild, the Fargo-Moorhead Area Foundation and Anda Properties.
The location for the Gate City Bank Young Artist Program with the Fargo-Moorhead Opera is in Fargo, ND USA, an typically runs from February to April.
During their time here the Fargo-Moorhead Opera Young Artists will participate in and receive:
- Coaching in standard operatic repertoire. Each Young Artist will be expected to learn at least one major role in its entirety.
- Career training seminars include audition techniques, vocal wellness, marketing, diction and acting.
- Covers of leading roles in mainstage production as appropriate.
- Consideration for comprimario roles in mainstage production.
- Staged scene concerts.
- Serve as community ambassadors for the opera by participating in outreach programs in regional schools and at area businesses and community organizations.
- Masterclasses with visiting guest artists.
- Masterclasses with the General Director
Artists will receive a weekly stipend, housing and a transportation allowance for the duration for the 2019 season program.